Due date : 2 February, 2018
Summary of opportunity
- Value addition to agroproduce
This includes improving food and beverages, as well as preparing novel industrial green chemicals and biofuels, or developing diagnostics tools, but excluding drug trials. It also includes new ways of producing feed for livestock and fish, and using insects for food.
- Agro/biowaste conversion
This involves conversion of agro/biowaste and other feedstock into useful renewable products or services, including using insects as biowaste converters, product recovery from solid waste, wastewater, and wastewater treatment and reuse.
- Bioinnovation policy analysis and development
This involves background policy studies and analyses, stakeholder consultations, production of policy briefs, and implementation of actions leading to the development of an innovation-driven bioeconomy strategy for eastern African states.
- Category 1 Grants: To develop and pilot innovative and economically viable biobased technologies or products (US$ 2.25 million)
- Category 2 Grants: For biobased technology business incubation (US$ 750,000)
- Category 3 Grants: For developing a regional innovation-driven bioeconomy strategy (US$ 500,000)
Eligible applicants: Scientists, researchers, innovators or entrepreneurs resident in the eastern African countries of Burundi, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda and who are not current recipients of a BioInnovate Africa project grant.
Partners per project: Minimum 3 and maximum 5 from at least three (3) of the eligible countries.
Grant period: Up to 3 years (2018–2021)
Grant amount per project: US$ 750,000 for Category 1; US$ 250,000 for Category 2; and US$ 500,000 for Category 3.